Common Mistakes When Writing a Statement of Purpose
Is Academic Focus Important When Writing an Effective Statement of Purpose?
Many applicants will spend many weeks looking for that perfect anecdote around which to write their statement and look at how they can fit their interests and hobbies to the program they are applying to. Many however forget that they are writing an academic statement of purpose that needs to clearly show their abilities to actually study. When you are writing a statement of purpose for any program you need to clearly demonstrate that you are academically suited to actually succeed at what you are applying to do.
If you cannot clearly show that you have the knowledge and skills required to study in the program that you are applying to then your application may have reached the end of the road. The majority of your writing needs to cover your academic achievements and goals to show clearly that you are going to be an excellent selection for the program that you are applying to.
How to Include Your Academic Focus When Writing a Statement of Purpose
Careful thought should be taken to ensure that you fully cover your academic interests and abilities. The following points are worth consideration when you are writing an academic statement of purpose:
- What have you learned through your current studies that directly prepare you for the program that you are applying to?
- What have transferable skills such as leadership and communication you learned from your studies that are going to be required for this program?
- Have you been on any relevant professional visits or seminars that will help with preparing you for the course?
- What are the specific areas of the course that you are looking forward to studying: look at the individual modules offered not just the headline of the program.
- How does your proposed subject area affect society as a whole and what do you hope to achieve through your studies?
- Have you undertaken any relevant work experience, volunteering, or reading that is relevant to the program?
- What are your future career and educational goals and how is this program going to support them?