Why Is Your Duke Admission Essay So Important?
Originally known as Trinity College after the town in which it was formed in 1838, the University changed its name to Duke after receiving the Duke Endowment from the industrialist James Duke in 1924. The Times world university rankings place Duke at 17th place while the US News puts it at 9th in the US. This is probably why the university receives so many applications yet only admits just 9% of those that apply. Just as a Princeton statement of purpose must be tailored to that college so must your Duke application.
Your Duke statement of purpose is a vitally important part of your application. While they have high expectations of you with regards to your grades and test scores you will be competing against many others that are going to be equally as academically gifted. So if you want that prestigious education you will need to make your application stand out from a well-written statement of purpose, personal statement, or admissions essay.
The better that it reflects the specific expectations of the University the more likely you are to be accepted for a place. However, writing and tailoring your Duke University admission essay or a SoP for PhD applications is never an easy task. This is why you may want to consider using our specialized and highly effective SoP writing services to provide you with an edge with getting a degree through Duke.
How to Apply to Duke University
As with any application you need to review the requirements of the course and college that you are applying to in case they have any specific expectations from you. In general applications to Duke will be made through the Common App or the Coalition Application. The expectations when applying will cover all of the following:
- Application fee of $85
- Completed electronic application
- SAT with the essay or ACT with the writing (Students submitting SAT are recommended to include two subject tests)
- Duke admission essay
- Duke supplement
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Letter from your counselor
What Should You Study at Duke?
As a high ranking world-class university, Duke offers you a wide range of subjects that you can study at both undergraduate and graduate level. The following are some of the courses that are highly sought after and ranked highly:
- Engineering: offered through the Pratt School of Engineering there are a number of areas in which you can specialize in such as civil and mechanical engineering through to biomedical engineering which is ranked no.3 in the world.
- Evolutionary Anthropology: taught through the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences you can follow this program at both undergraduate and graduate level.
- Medicine: the Duke School of Medicine offers you all of the resources that you need to follow your education in this area as well as to partake in leading-edge research.
How to Write the Perfect Duke Statement of Purpose
Your Duke graduate statement of purpose or admissions essay really can be the deciding factor in your acceptance of a place. You will have to put a huge amount of effort into your writing if you are going to be sure of getting the place that you want. Undergraduates will be expected to write one of 7 essays from the Common App Essays which must be from 250 to 650 words in length or 1 from 5 essays provided through the Coalition App Essays which needs to be less than 550 words.
You will also be expected to write essay through the Duke supplement. The prompts for these essays are:
- Engineering applicants: “If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering as either a first-year or transfer applicant, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke. (150 words maximum)”
- Trinity Applicants: “If you are applying to the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences as either a first-year or transfer applicant, please discuss why you consider Duke a good match for you. Is there something particular about Duke that attracts you? (150 words maximum)”
- Optional essay: “Duke University seeks a talented, engaged student body that embodies the wide range of human experience; we believe that the diversity of our students makes our community stronger. If you’d like to share a perspective you bring or experiences you’ve had to help us understand you better—perhaps related to a community you belong to or your family or cultural background—we encourage you to do so. Real people are reading your application, and we want to do our best to understand and appreciate the real people applying to Duke. (250 words maximum)”
When you are answering these questions and the main application essays you should consider these specific expectations that are stated by Duke:
- A sense of engagement — with ideas, with other people, with a community
- An inclination to take full advantage of the talents and abilities you’ve been given
- An interest in being challenged; a healthy ambition
- The ability and desire to make a difference
- Creativity, curiosity and a sense of fun
- An openness to opportunities
Always consider the following areas when you write your essays:
- Look at a Duke sample of statement of purpose writing to see how yours should look. Do not, however, get tempted to copy anything.
- Show what you have achieved don’t just make unsubstantiated claims. Give an example and show what was the outcome.
- Don’t concentrate on writing about what you did, show what you learned and how you have grown through your experiences.
- Don’t let mistakes slip through, carefully edit and proofread your essays to ensure that they are not going to make a poor impression due to mistakes in your writing.
Work with Our Specialists for Your Duke University Admission Essays
No matter what level or what program you are applying to you will be competing against many others that have equally as impressive qualifications. So your personal statement or SoP really is often the only opportunity to get noticed. We are able to help you with yours through staff that fully understand every aspect of applying to Duke. They work directly with you to make sure that your statement is carefully tailored to show you off in the best light.
All of the writing that we do with you is unique and will be provided with a free plagiarism report. We also offer free formatting and proofreading and will never fail to deliver your essay on time. You can order your help through us with total confidence as we provide you with a full satisfaction money back guarantee.